Vice President, Performance Marketing
- Full Time
Saatva was the first to sell luxury mattresses online and at scale in 2010. We’ve grown exponentially since then almost exclusively on the strength of our performance marketing expertise. Over the past two years we have broken out of the gravitational pull of “startup.” Our next phase of growth will be driven by the exploitation of upper funnel channels, a process that began in 2020, while maintaining our competitive advantage in all of our performance channels.
We are looking for an accomplished performance marketer who can move seamlessly between strategy and tactics and who has a high comfort level with being "hands on". Someone who also sees the acquisition of upper funnel skills as the next logical step in their path of growth as a marketer. The most successful candidate will report to our CMO and partner with him to apply a test-learn-improve performance methodology to our evolving upper-funnel tactics and inform our long-term omnichannel strategy.
You have 7+ years of hands-on-keys experience creating, placing, managing, and reporting on search ads, shopping ads, acquisition display, remarketing display, affiliate marketing, email, online video, SMS, and participating in marketplaces. You have worked with budgets in excess of $3 million per month. You understand the impact that channels have on each other, and you are able to strategically orchestrate spend and tactics across channels. You have learned that you may have to accept a lower ROAS in one or more channels to maximize ROAS across all channels.
You have partnered with analytics teams to create dashboards that allow you to keep your team and your company leadership informed about your progress against monthly/quarterly/annual KPIs.
You are very familiar with Marketing Mix Models, and you have pressure-tested those MMMs with incrementality testing. You never trust data at face value,and understand that every platform–particularly social media platforms-have a vested interest in reporting data that supports their own revenue growth.
You have coordinated performance efforts to drive qualified traffic to your site (or sites), to multiple and geographically- dispersed retail locations, and to phone sales representatives.
You are thoughtful, and a thought leader. You have wisdom about marketing borne out of experience, and you share your wisdom either in person with your team, or with the world via Linkedin or your own blog.
You are a player coach. You still enjoy rolling up your sleeves, when necessary, but know when and how to trust your team to succeed without your hand holding.
You present extraordinarily well—to peers, to leadership, to the board.
Beyond embracing innovation, you are an innovator yourself, and can tell stories about things you’ve done that have never been done, or that have defied conventional wisdom.
- Develop and manage strategy to drive acquisition and conversions in a highly coordinated way across multiple marketing channels
- Manage reporting and analyses of marketing campaigns, programs, and budgets
- Effectively and efficiently lead, develop, hire and grow a team
- Work closely with our analytics team to design and refine our models, so that we can better understand the relative “goodness” of our marketing tactics, and refine our ability to predict outcomes generated by various levels of spend
- Work with our analytics team to generate models that will allow us to measure share of search and share of voice, using both to predict movements in market share
- Align team members throughout the organization on strategies and key initiatives (vertically and horizontally)
- Work closely with our content (blog), organic social, and PR teams to grow our earned audiences exponentially over the coming years
- Work closely with our digital product and performance marketing teams to coordinate the consumer experience from the top of the funnel to the bottom
- Work with analytics and digital product to help the organization better understand the lifetime value of each customer, building individual relationships with our customers via programs that maximize LTV
- Manage agency relationships to ensure that we benefit completely from their expertise
- Drive executive communication and ongoing communication/reporting to disseminate high-level channel performance details to key leaders, along with key insights, optimizations, and recommendations
- Work closely with our internal creative organization to craft ads, stories, and messages that resonate with our audience and reinforce our brand and product attributes
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, and executive presence. Challenge past strategies and constructs effectively without being confrontational or antagonistic
- Self-educate around retail and marketing industry trends / best practices to identify opportunities that are consistent with the Brand
- Be a passionate evangelist for consumer needs and digital innovation
- Effectively communicate a POV on Privacy and “cookiepocalypse” and how it impacts go-to-market strategies and messaging
Education and Experience:
- Seven plus years in an online B2C eCommerce environment; 4+ years of P&L accountability, with the ability to provide both strategic and tactical direction
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or related discipline strongly preferred. Advanced degree is desired, but not required
- Extensive hands-on experience managing the following traffic-generating programs: Search Engine Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Online acquisition and remarketing display advertising, Paid Social, Connected TV, Email, Direct Mail, Online video (YouTube and/or Native) and Programmatic advertising distribution
- You’ve led teams of five or more
- Extensive experience using Marketing Mix Models to inform your strategy
- Extensive experience with incrementality studies, using them to temper over-enthusiastic data from social platforms, or pressure-test your marketing mix model
- Demonstrated track record of developing reliable eCommerce forecasts